The revolutionary change in technology and digitalization has changed a lot of things. As exciting and innovative as it sounds, video-based resumes the new age tool to accelerate the job hunting process and get noticed. The job market is growing, and so is the demand for creative, unconventional job profiles.
The only way to break the saturated job market is to ditch the regular and opt for a video resume. Not only does it simplify the job hunting process and grab the attention of the recruiters. According to a survey by LinkedIn, 75% of the hiring managers believe a basic text resume is not sufficient to gauge the skills and potential of a candidate. A pre-recorded video is a better way for the candidates to stand ahead of the crowd and creatively represent their resumes.
With the changing job market and demand for innovative digital skills, a recorded video is a better tool for a candidate to sound convincing and take forward their candidature. A video CV done creatively is a ticket to lucrative job offers.
Importance of a Pre-recorded Video for recruitment
Employers and recruiters are bored with the monotony of scanning through the traditional resumes. However, a video-based resume is fresh and powerful to sound convincing and give a glimpse of your soft skills. Having said that, it is necessary to maintain the utmost professionalism and demeanour while recording the resume to improve employment opportunities.
- Video resumes are incredible tools for showing your soft skills, communication skills, and personality. It makes it easier for recruiters to weed out candidates who are not the right fit.
- A lot is reflected about the candidate through a video compared to traditional paper or softcopy of a resume. By being creative yet professional, the video recording of the resume gives you the chance to stand out from a crowd of traditional resumes.
- The visual tools in the video and creativity in the right amount send the right message to the recruiter. Depending on the job profile, it allows you to be creative or precise.
What is necessary for creating a good video CV?
While video CVs are attractive and in demand, it is important to use the right elements to make an interesting resume. Do not go overboard or add tacky details when it is for a professional job. Consider showing moderate creativity for unconventional digital job profiles. Here are a few things to keep in mind while creating a video resume:
- Make sure to include all the important and relevant information in the video resume. This includes educational background, work experience, skills etc. Start with a strong hook-line to grab the attention of the recruiters.
- A major hiccup with a video CV does not know the appropriate length. The short attention span of the recruiters demands a crisp, concise resume not longer than two minutes. Wrap up all the information in 2 to 3 minutes while fairly giving the employer an idea of why you are a suitable candidate. Make it convincing.
- Do not simply read from a script and look into the camera while recording. Know your lines, rehearse and record as many times as required to bring out the confidence. Do not sound like an amateur in the video.
- It takes just a few seconds for the recruiters to decide if you are a potential candidate or not. Speak clearly and make sure to dress in formals while recording the video.
- Keep it short, simple, and crisp. It is your video CV, so save the editing creativity for creative projects. Do not compromise on the quality. Make sure there is no background disturbance, and your voice is clear. Do not use filters and transitions for a job resume.
Tips for Creating an Impeccable Video Resume
As first-timers, recording a video of the resume is a daunting task. The high-quality smartphones, easy to use editing software or apps, and in-built templates have simplified the job. However, it is crucial to keep a few points in mind for creating a good-quality and attractive resume using a video tool.
Prepare the script
The script is the most important to present yourself to the recruiter in a step by step manner. The traditional resume has information starting from educational qualification, work experience, skills, and contact information. Make sure you include all the necessary details in the script.
Treat the video recording of the resume as a physical interview. Make sure you look presentable, professional, and neatly dressed. Declutter the surroundings and possible record against a plain background to bring focus on yourself.
You cannot compromise on the quality of the video. Seek help from a friend or a professional if you do not have expertise in recording and editing the video. Here are some technical things to keep in mind:
- Use a stabiliser or a tripod to hold the camera. Make sure the video is not blurry or shaky.
- Make use of a microphone to bring clarity to the voice. Be clear, confident and assertive while you speak.
- Record the video in a quiet place to ensure there is no background noise or disturbances.
- Edit the footage and remove the unwanted part. Either you can seek help from a professional videographer or use online editing software to make the edits.
Once the resume is ready and all set to be posted on job portals or reach recruiters, make sure to take feedback. Always show the video to your friends, family, or colleagues to see if it makes an impression. If needed, make the changes before sending it.
Digitalization and dependency on online services have changed a lot of things. There is a swift transition from traditional to video resumes to gain the right traction and attract the recruiter’s attention. However, it is not a guarantee but a great way to get noticed and put together all your qualifications, experience, and skills visually. However, it is crucial to maintain professionalism and keep the resume crisp and to the point for job hunting.
1 thought on “A New Tool in Job Hunting – The Video Resume”